History of the Library: Garden of Symbols
Southern Utah Brands
The brands represented panel 8 were once, or are currently, used on cattle, sheep or horses in southern Utah. A brand is the key to ownership in the livestock business where ownership is everything. Brands are read from left to right, top to bottom, or from outside to inside. They may be pictorial or geometric symbols, letters, numbers or variations. Brands can be monograms, phonograms (symbolic equivalents of an individual's name), pictographs, or a word story (using an entire word).
Branding was an ancient practice that can be traced to early depictions in 4,000-year old Egyptian tomb paintings. Hernando Cortes burned crosses in the small herd of cattle he brought with him to Mexico, and the vaqueros passed the custom on to U.S. cowboys who developed and refined their own calligraphy by burning or painting on the livestock.
The earliest branding paint for the sheep was made from lampblack, linseed oil and flour. Woolen mills operating today insist the paint used in the branding process of sheep be a type that is easily scoured from the wool. Modern livestock owners now use a painless technique called "freeze branding" on cattle or horses. In this process the hair on the animal is shaved and liquid nitrogen is used to cool the branding iron prior to application. The hair grows back white, leaving a nice brand.
John D. Day / Rockin'd Ranch
Registered in 1969, the "Rockin'd Ranch" brand graces the left hip and left thigh of cattle and horses owned by John D. Day. The cattle bred and raised by Mr. Day have been both registered Texas Longhorn and commercial cattle. His registered American Quarter Horses have won state, regional, national and world championships. Rockin'd Ranch livestock have been used in the television and movie industry, where Mr. Day has participated as a wrangler, stunt man and actor. As the first United States Wilderness Ranger in the Pine Valley Mountain Wilderness he also uses his horses in a law enforcement capacity.
Harl E. Judd
G. Elmer Judd registered the "JUD" Judd brand in 1940. Since 1950 the brand has been registered to his son Harl E. Judd. The family owned Hereford cattle were grazed in Cottonwood Canyon west of Kanab, in the Lost Spring Gap Allotment southeast of Kanab and in Arizona at Wahweap allotment by Glen Canyon near the present location of Lake Powell.
The Behunin Family brand is placed here in memory of Franklin Behunin (1966 to 1993), born a cowboy and who loved the ranching lifestyle. The "Backwards F-B" brand was originally registered to Frank's namesake, his grandfather, who used the brand on cattle and horses. At the age of 16, Frank worked on the Arizona Strip as an entertainer and wrangler and later worked as a professional guide who broke and trained horses. After a work-related snowmobile accident left him paralyzed, Frank had a special saddle made so he could still ride horses.
Warren Don Bulloch / Bruce N. Bulloch
Dating back to the early 1900's, the Bulloch brand was placed on the center back of sheep and the left hip on horses and cattle. This brand is known as the "Frying Pan" brand for its close resemblance to that utensil. Brands were chosen for the simple lines, so the brand would come out clear and the owners could identify their animals at a distance. Warren H. Bulloch, son of David Dunn Bulloch, used the brand in his livestock business until approximately 1940. The Bullochs ran approximately 4,000 sheep at the peak of the family livestock business. The brand has remained in the family and is still registered to the family.
D.L. Sargent Family
David LeRoy Sargent began his career at Southern Utah University in 1920 as the Head of the Agricultural Department. In 1924 in order to provide supplemental income for his growing family, Mr. Sargent purchased a 100-acre farm north of Cedar City. It became the first retail dairy business in Cedar City. Widely known as the D. L. Sargent Dairy, the "DL" brand was placed on the left side of the animal and used on dairy cows, sheep, horses and cattle. The "DL" brand was actively used until the death of Mr. Sargent in 1968.
McRae N. Bulloch
The "Spear Head" sheep and cattle brand used by the McRae N. Bulloch family originated over 100 years ago with McRae's father, David C. (Cattle) Bulloch. Hundreds of cattle were branded and grazed family land owned by David C.'s father, David Dunn Bulloch, located at Pipe Springs, Arizona. The Spear Head brand was used by David C. to distinguish his cattle from those owned by his father. The brand was registered in Utah, Arizona and Nevada and is currently being used by the family for livestock. The Bulloch family is proud of their heritage and lengthy affiliation with the livestock business.
Francis H. Middleton Family
John Middleton moved to Iron County in 1856 as a 16-year old English boy and shortly after, relocated at Hamilton Fort where he was one of the first settlers to that area. John became a successful rancher, and was greatly admired by his grandson, Francis Holland Middleton. Francis adopted a variation of his grandfather's cattle brand and placed on the left shoulder of his cattle. The "Bar 7 Bar" was used by Francis from the early 1920's and is still being used today by his sons and grandsons.
The Schmutz family cattle brand has been in continuous use since 1889. Used on the left hip, the brand was designed by Gottlieb Schmutz. In 1939 Gottlieb transferred the brand to his son, Eldon Lyman Schmutz who transferred it to his son Eldon William Schmutz in 1977. The brand is currently registered to the Schmutz family corporation where it is used on Hereford range cows. The cattle range an area from Iron Springs in Iron County to Pintura in Washington County.
Alma Evans Family
The Alma Evans Family brand originated with Alma's father, John Arthur Evans, nearly 100 years ago. The first line in the "A" curves upwards to signify the "J" for John while the"A" depicts Arthur and the "E" stands for Evans. The sheep operation ran in the western deserts and Lost Springs area for grazing, and the Chipman Peaks country in the Minersville hills, where the lambing corrals were located. In the 1920's the operation included some 5,000 sheep. Alma and his brother Arthur were in the livestock trucking business for a number of years and ran up to 1,600 cattle at the peak of their partnership in the late 1980's. The brand is currently used by Alma Evans and his sons in their cattle operation.
National Mustang Association
The National Mustang Association (NMA) was founded in 1970 to preserve and protect wild and free roaming horses. A sanctuary was established to provide a home for unadoptable horses removed from public lands. In 1966 over 70 head of horses were grazing on the NAM ranch and allotment. The "NMA" brand is necessary to identify those horses under its protection.
McKeon Land and Cattle
Fascinated by the lore of the Old West and the infamous 1881 gun battle at the OK Corral in Tombstone, Arizona, P.B. McKeon adopted the "OK" brand for his livestock. Originally from Pennsylvania, P.B. married Mary A. Smithson and was one of the first settlers to the Milford Valley. The brand was used on horses during 1902 and 1903 when the family drove 1,500 horses in two herds from Milford, Utah to Los Angeles, California. The third generation to use the brand was P.B.'s grandson, Jack B. McKeon. Fourth and Fifth generation McKeon family members still used the brand today for 2,500 family-owned cattle on feed in southern Utah.
Steve and Cyndi Gilbert
The "Diamond G" brand came into existence in 1989 after Steve and Cyndi Gilbert purchased the famous bull, Ricky, at the National Finals Rodeo Bucking Horse and Bull Sale. The Gilberts have created the "Diamond G" Ranch where Ricky remains the primary stud bull for rodeo breeding purposes. He is a cross between the Charolais and Brahma breeds. The brand is used on all the livestock of the "Diamond G" Rodeo companies that are part of the Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association.
This brand was originally used by John Lundell before he left the sheep business. Lundell was one of three Swedes who came to southern Utah around the turn of the century to find work and ended up sheep ranching. The Williams family traces its Utah roots to 1878 when Evan E. Williams came from Wales at the age of nine. Around 1920 Evan went into the sheep business and adopted the brand. He was a member of the Mercantile Cooperative until its dissolution in the 1920s. His son, Alex, bought him out in 1941 and started using the "Open Box" brand. Alex's son Tom now uses the brand on his herd of 2,800 sheep.
Philip and Emily H. Foremaster
Philip and Emily H. Foremaster have grazed cattle on the Arizona Strip for over 55 years. The family inherited their love of ranching and the great outdoors from Philip's parents, Ephraim and Ida L. Foremaster. Ephraim and his sons Joe, Philip, Lindau, and Tone have had a successful family owned livestock business on the Strip spanning over 100 years. Placed on the left hip, the "Slash Lazy E" brand used by Philip is a variation of his father's brand, which was a "Block E." Philip, with the help of his children, continued to work with his cattle until the age of 90. The "Slash Lazy E" brand is now owned by his son and daughter-in-law, Howard and Annette Foremaster.
T.W. Jones and Sons
Born in Cedar City a son of early settler Lehi W. Jones, Thomas Willard Jones received an engineering degree from the University of Utah and was one of the owners of the New Castle Reclamation Company. Willard and his wife, Sophia Forsyth Jones, made their home in the western Iron County where Willard was one of the original agricultural developers of the area. Willard operated the family cattle business with his two sons Richard and Uriah. The "Wrench" brand was chosen in 1917 for the ease in forming and applying the brand due to its straight lines and less complicated form. The design is still in used today by Richard Jones, his sons Mason and Steven and their sons Mark, Chris, Eric, and David.
Southern Utah University
In 1913 the Branch Normal School changed names to the Branch Agricultural College. A condition of this change was that the necessary facilities to make the school an agricultural college must be provided by Cedar City. These provisions included supplying livestock and eighty acres of experimental farm land. Over the years many of the livestock animals owned by the university have been donated by Utah ranchers. Subsequently, bulls raised and sold by the university have strengthened the blood line of local herds by upgrading the breeding stock. Since the cattle brand has always represented the initials of the name of the school it has changed as the school has changed. Currently, the brand "SU" is used on the right hip of Hereford, Gelbvieh, black Gelbvieh, and crossbred cattle.
Renn and Marie Zaphiropoulos
Designed by Renn Zaphiropoulos, the "Diamond Z Ranch" brand has been used since 1987. The ranch raises Quarter horses, English Shire draft horses, and Shire / Thoroughbred crosses known as Warmbloods. The Quarter horses are used for pleasure and the sport of barrel racing. "Gentle Giants," as the English Shire is known, are the largest horses in the world. They are prized for their disposition, size, and agility. The Warmbloods are used in driving, dressage, Three Day Eventing, and are excellent all around pleasure horses. The brands are placed on the left hip by "freeze branding." The Zaphiropolouses are proud to be part of the ranching tradition in Iron County.
This brand is in memory of Randy Lee who felt at one with the earth when he saddled his horse and rode with the wind. Randy and his dad created their brand for the horses, which is the "Backwards R L" brand. The Lee boys always enjoyed working cattle with a good horse and many of the horses they broke and trained are a tribute to this fine young man.
Paul Rowland Graff / Oliver Graham Graff
This brand is known as the "Lone Pine Brand." One-half mile north of Graff Point in Iron County stands the lone pine tree. The lone pine tree can be seen from the valley because the tree is located on the sky line on a ledge near the entrance to Graff Coal Mine. This symbol for the brand and is used on both sheep and cattle.
Richard and June Sewing
Richard and June Sewing moved to New Castle, Utah in 1975 from southern California and currently operate a small hay farm there. In celebration of their venture into rural life they decided to establish a brand to mark their livestock. Although most of the livestock are now gone, the brand still remains a symbol of the choice they made for a new life in southern Utah. The "JR" brand stands for the combined first initials of their names.
The cattle brand of an upside down "T" used by Warren Williams once belonged to George Perry. The livestock business is usually run by family members, but Perry's were childless so Warren and his brother Tom helped Mr. Perry with fencing and calf branding. When Mr. Perry made the decision to quit the cattle business Warren took over the brand. Warren entered the family sheep business in 1950 with his father Alex. In 1955, to better utilize all of the property the family owned, the branched out into the cattle business for the rougher country was more suited to sheep and the open country better for running cattle. The Williams family runs their cattle in Iron and Washington Counties in Utah, and Lincoln County in Nevada.
Charles Gustave Lundgren Family
Charles Gustave Lundgren came into this country from Sweden in 1888. Shortly after his arrival he moved to Kanab, Utah and began herding sheep. He took his wages half in sheep and half in money, which was the beginning of his her of Ramboullet sheep. Two solid dots were used as a brand because it was easy to find a forked branch or a tin can for the paint brand. Additionally, the brand was easy to identify at a distance. The dots were placed on the back so they could be seen from either side when working the herd. The Lundgren LLC Ranch is currently based in Iron County and owned by second, third, and fourth generation family members. Today the herd contains both Rambouillet and Suffolk sheep.
Craig Jones Family
Thomas Jones used the "TJ" brand in the mid to late 1800s. It was later passed down in the family to Lehi Jones and his sons who ran a cooperative livestock organization. One year the tail of the "J" broke off thus turning the branding iron into a "TI." Since the family only owned one branding iron they kept using that brand and later filed for a change in brands with the Utah Department of Agriculture. For most of the 20th century the family used the "TI" brand for cattle and sheep. The brand was place on different sections of cattle (such as the ribs, left hip, and so on) to designate ownership within the large family. The brand was always placed on the back of sheep, but different colors were used to distinguish different owners. It is still being used today, though the active ranching descendants of Lehi Jones are far fewer, as are the numbers of cattle and sheep using the brand.
Don Dee and Mary Alice Gates
Don Dee and Mary Alice Gates have run cattle on the Arizona Strip and in Utah for many years. Their interest in the livestock business began on the Philip Foremaster ranch on the Strip where the family gathered to work hard and enjoy the raw beauty of the land. A love of horses, cattle and the wide open spaces was developed by the Foremaster children and grandchildren. When the time came for Philip Foremaster to sell his ranch, his son-in-law and daughter Don and Mary Alice F. Gates and son and daughter-in-law Howard and Annette Foremaster bought the family ranch. The "J Heart" brand is used by Don Dee and Mary Alice Gates and is placed on the left shoulder of their cattle and horses. The ranch is currently run by second and third generation offspring of Philip Foremsater.
Born January 18,1905 in Hurricane, Utah, Waldon Isom was raised by older siblings after the deaths of both is father and mother. Waldon started helping with the cattle at age six and was essentially out on his own at age twelve. He often joked that he wasn't raised, he was "jerked up!" The family ranch was located at Iron Springs, but they also ran their cattle on mountain property east of Cedar City. Waldon upgraded his cattle each year until he had top quality Herefords. After a series of heart attacks in 1987 he was forced to five up the ranching he loved all his life, but the spirit of this self-made man remained out on the range. Waldon is now deceased and his son, W. Elwin Isom, currently uses the brand on his ranch in Fruitland, Idaho. The "FI" brand stood for the initials of Waldon's father Franklin Isom.
The "TU" brand is proudly used by the Rimpau family who has been in the livestock business for eleven generations. The original brand was quite ornate with curlicues on either side of the "T" (representing Theodor) and the "U" ( the last letter of Rimpau). The brand was later simplified to its current form so it could be recognized at a distance on an animal and not mistaken for someone else's brand. It was approximately the size of a 3-pound coffee can lid and first used in Orange County, California. More recently it was used by Theodore Rimpau in Milford, Utah on the center back of Hampshire sheep.
The Murie family has been involved in the livestock business in this area since the first settlers arrived here. Mel Murie loved the ranching lifestyle and enjoyed spending all of his time with his cattle, whether on the mountian in the summer or in the desert in the winter. Mel's original cattle brand was "7K." In 1956 he purchased a desert ranch and the brand "71 Bar" came with it. It was used on the left hip and was clear and easy to read. Mel passed away in 1982 but the ranch continues to be a family cattle operation.
Leigh Livestock Company / Richard and Fern Leigh
The "Backwards DL" brand was registered by Richard Leigh's grandfather, Herny Leigh over 100 years ago and was used on both cattle and sheep. Richard's father, Webster Leigh, used this brand during his lifetime. Richard has kept the brand and it is currently being used on over 400 cattle. Richard Leigh expects his children to continue to operate Leigh Livestock Company and to use this brand on the left hip of the cattle.
"JN" was the brand of John Conrad Naegle, pioneer, farmer, rancher, and colonizer. He made his way west at the age of 19 with the Mormon exodus from Nauvoo to Winter Quarters. His first ranching endeavor was near Lehi, Utah where his ranch included the present Saratoga Springs on the shore of Utah Lake. Called by Brigham Young to establish the wind industry in Utah's Dixie, Naegle expanded his ranch operation in Beaver and Kaibab Forest on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. A polygamist with seven wives, Toquerville became his headquarters for 24 years. Pressure from U.S. Marshals caused him to relocated part of his family to St. Johns, Arizona and finally into the Mormon Colonies of Old Mexico where he died in 1899. Thousands of horses and cattle were branded with the "JN" brand in the early day of Utah, Arizona, and Mexico.
Rulan and Lois Woodbury
The "Lazy JU" brand originally belonged to D. Claude and Martha P. Urie, Cedar City, Utah. The Uries homesteaded some desert property west of Cedar City in approximately 1920 and were excited to see their dream fulfilled when they put cattle on the range. In later years their son Howard took over the operation. When both Claude and Howard died, their son-in-law and daughter Rulan and Lois Urie Woodbury helped Martha run the operation and kept the brand in the Urie family. The brand is still registered to the Woodburys and used on Black Angus and Herefords.